Thursday, May 19, 2011

Small Town Heroes

Like I've mentioned before, I've gotten to be acquainted with much of the music coming out of Lafayette, Indiana, due to a good friend of mine. One of the bands that she has shared with me is SmallTown Heroes. After knowing about them for over a year, I finally purchased their CD Lo, The Hard Times.

It's definitely country folk record, which I love. Mandolin, guitars, harmonica, fiddle, and tales of cowboys complete the aura of country folk. All of the voices on the record take a little getting used to, or at least they did for me. The main guy's voice is bit more gruff than I'm used to and Bethany's voice has a lot of vibrato. In the end, I don't think either is a bad thing, it's just that it takes getting used to.

I also really enjoy what they say about themselves:
"SmallTown Heroes is not a band, we are friends who play music. We laugh with each other, we cry for each other, we live our lives and our faith together. I never wanted to be in a "Christian" band, I always hated the idea of running around and singing to people how great it was to be a Christian, and how happy we are all the time, or raising ourselves up as some sort of example to follow. But as time wears on and we all change I start to realize that I don't have to be anyone I don't want to be. In fact we should all strive to be better than we are but know who we are so we do not become over inflated. SmallTown Heroes celebrates life, generally it's the more difficult parts and it doesn't always feel like a celebration, but every party needs a pooper and that's where our music comes in. Take it or leave it, but we hope you take it."

All in all, I think the record is completely worth it, if only for the song "Sad Songs." It's the song that really did it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment