Sunday, March 20, 2011

Namesake

I really enjoy the phrase "Indie Rock Lindy Hop." Hence the name of my blog. But I cannot take the credit for the creative genius in it. So here's the story of this blog's namesake.

Many of dancers in the Twin Cities area love to go dance to the group Patty and the Buttons. Their music is the kind that moves your toes to a-tappin' and your soul to be happy. It's the kind of music that makes you want to dance, dance, dance. When they finish their set, I just want to keep dancing some more because they've built up such good happy dance vibes in my very being that my eagerness to dance cannot simply stop just because they have. That's what I call good music...the kind that still has effects over you even after its gone.

At the place where we go to see them the most, Aster Cafe, the employees DJ from their i-Pods between the band's set breaks and after they finish. One day, the song "Home" by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros came on and I got my friend Christi to keep dancing with me. Patrick Harrison, aka Patty, walked on past and stated, "It's indie rock lindy hop." And I have just loved that phrase ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment