Monday, March 21, 2011

A Basia Bulat Kind of Day

Today in the Twin Cities, the sky was mostly cloudy and the weather was a bit chilly but refreshing. It's the kind of day that make me think of London. I've never been, but it only seems right. And on this day, I have felt good and confident. It was one of those days that I picked out the perfect outfit, my hair bounced in the right way, and I felt like I could take on the world. All very silly, but true.
Now that you know a bit of the context...
I went to the grocery store after class to pick up an apple for a snack, and as I was walking inside, I thought to myself "This is a Basia Bulat kind of day. I feel like I even look a little bit like her right now."

(Okay, so maybe I don't look much like her, but the feeling was there. And that was enough for me.)

The entire time I was in the store, I had the instrumentation part of her song "If Only You" stuck in my head. Then I proceeded to listen to her music for the rest of the day.

She is by far one of my favorites. I keep coming back to her, time after time. I even had the chance to see her last spring at the Cedar Cultural Center. Such a great show. I would say that I experienced my most spiritual musical moment at that show when she sang "Sparrow" completely unplugged. Just her and her ukulele.

Watch this and you will listen and see for yourself why I like this woman so much.

As a side note: The Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis has been my favorite concert venue so far. If you get a chance to see a show there, its worth it. Great acoustics and very intimate feeling.

 Additional Commentary:
The entirety of both her albums are great. All the songs mentioned above are from her latest release Heart of My Own (2010), but it was her debut album Oh My Darling (2007) that initially caught my attention. Give them both a listen.
Also: Her brother is the one on drums. I love that. I also love that it's a viola, not a violin, accompanying her music.

No comments:

Post a Comment